Functional Decomposition of Your Legacy Application
Functional decomposition is a process that ultimately serves to break down more complex systems into their fundamental components to offer a more transparent view of those systems. This analysis is critical for reducing costs and expediting the build of new systems by avoiding and removing waste. Upon completing a functional decomposition, teams can identify areas of duplication, low-value components and features for potential rationalization.
Deliverables and artifacts
A functional decomposition generally has two outputs:
- A diagram illustrating the parts of a larger system.
- A narrative describing the details of the system's functionality.
Who should attend?
- Product Owners
- Subject Matter Experts
- Thorough understanding of the current system and processes.
- Highlighting risks by identifying the complexities of the system.
- More efficient improvement planning.
- A simplistic view of the system that any stakeholder can understand.
- Save time and money as you seek to innovate through process improvements.