Enhancing Security and Streamlining Compliance for Large Service Provider
In this case study
Adopting new technology is essential for service providers to improve operational efficiency and meet customer expectations. However, certifying new hardware and software can take months. IT staff must perform tasks like analyzing code, assessing scalability and generating reports for auditors. Any deviation in the testing process can introduce risk to the business.
A large Service Provider partnered with World Wide Technology to accelerate this time-intensive process through automation. If testing could be automated effectively, the company could free IT staff to work on more strategic efforts, enhance its security posture by eliminating human error, improve the compliance experience for managers and auditors, and ultimately get new digital services into the hands of customers faster.
While one of the company's IT teams was focused on trying to automate some testing use cases, they lacked expertise specific to test automation.
To securely expedite the Service Provider's ability to test new technology, WWT provided:
- The design and analysis of a test automation framework.
- Design validation testing that included failover and negative tests.
- Development of a test case automation library to digitize certification and testing methods of procedure.
- The integration of pipelines and an automated topology builder.
Collapsed testing time from months to minutes: With a 200-page certification procedure fully digitized and automated, the client has seen a 95 percent improvement in time savings. Before implementing test automation, it typically took IT staff three to six months to certify new platforms due to manual processes, human error and rework. Staff are now able to execute the full testing suite in minutes.
Streamlined technology audits: Before the client implemented test automation, reports for auditors differed based on who performed tests. Automatically generated reports are produced in the same format, making it easier for auditors to do their jobs and, as a result, shorten how long it takes for new technology to be audited and adopted.
Accelerated vulnerability patching: Test automation has allowed the Service Provider to speed vulnerability patching by quickly testing new patch sets against organization- or industry-defined certifications standards. The client has reduced the risk of outages as well as the amount of time unpatched devices are exposed to vulnerabilities.
Reduced testing costs: By eliminating manual, repetitive testing, the client has avoided hiring more staff to perform testing as its adoption rate of new technology increases. Additionally, the client can run tests multiple times at no additional cost, resulting in decreased expenditure over time as the Service Provider's network continues to scale.
Transformation isn't simply a technology decision. It demands the right mix of technology, people, capabilities and areas of expertise. Here's what this client's solution required:
- Adoption of appropriate technology: Identify the best-fit technology infrastructure, such as Jenkins, Robot Framework and Ixia, to support the desired transformation.
- Process re-engineering: Redesign existing processes to align with new technologies, organizational goals, repeatable frameworks and testing best practices.
- Leadership commitment: Ensure active involvement and support from top management to drive the transformation.
- Skilled personnel: Engage a team with the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively implement and manage the technology.
- Training initiatives: Implement programs to educate employees on how to efficiently adopt new systems and processes.
Our deep domain expertise cuts across business and technology. Our ability to extensively test solutions and deploy them at scale, coupled with our ability to advise and execute, allows us to create new realities for our clients. Here's how we did it for this Service Provider:
To understand the needs, expectations and concerns of the client, we interviewed key stakeholders in the testing process. We extensively reviewed existing processes, systems and workflows to identify gaps and areas of improvement. Then we analyzed current and desired key performance indicators (KPIs). Data was meticulously analyzed to understand the project's scope and required solution.
Using the information and use cases identified during the discovery phase, we developed automation code, primarily the Robot Framework, to programmatically run through test cases. These tests were then integrated into existing CI/CD pipelines built in Jenkins to standardize the process of kicking off test cases and consuming report data. Throughout the process, we focused on modularity, reusability and simplicity, so the test suite remained effective and easy to maintain.
Finally, we built a reusable testing framework that could effectively evaluate different aspects of the system under varying conditions. This structured framework allows for consistent, repeatable testing that reduces errors and costs for future test cases.
As your organization navigates through the complexities of adopting new technologies, evolving market demands and global supply chain issues, it's important to have a trusted advisor who has the expertise to position your business for success.
From idea to outcome, you won't find another partner who:
- Combines strategic consulting with the ability to execute complex IT deployments worldwide.
- Cuts testing and migration time from months to weeks, if not days, by leveraging our lab services, OEM partnerships and certified experts.
- Acts as the single point of contact for designing, building, and deploying fully integrated systems on time and on budget.
Learn more about our capabilities. Explore our work.