Jeff has worked in technology for 18 years. Prior to his current role as a Technical Solutions Architect within the WWT ATC data center lab, Jeff spent 13 years focused on infrastructure/data center solutions with a primary emphasis on designing, deploying and administering storage technologies for WWT’s internal data centers.
Q&A with Jeff Fonke
- Tell us about your background and how you got into technology.
- In the fall of 1999 I decided to change my career path, and I enrolled in a local college to get a degree in Computer Network Technology. While attending college, I began to search for organizations that were looking for young eager-to-learn IT professionals. World Wide Technology gave me that chance in November of 1999. I was hired in as one of the original four help desk administrators at WWT.
- What is your role at WWT?
- I have spent the past 12 years focusing on data center infrastructure technologies. In 2004, I took a strong interest in systems administration and earned an opportunity to manage our storage area network and the storage arrays that backed all of the servers in the data center. Since that time, I have had a hand in just about every storage deployment at WWT. I currently serve the organization as a Technical Solutions Architect within the ATC data center lab team, focused primarily on Dell EMC storage.
- What innovation is happening in your technology focus area that has you really excited?
- Automation of infrastructure deployment is really exciting to me. As business demands require faster, more performant and always-on infrastructure, we are seeing major advantages to automating manual tasks. We are working with and have deployed a self-service menu for our customers to deploy virtual servers and storage. This removes risk, manual work and provides better service to our stakeholders and customers.
- Describe a recent interaction with a customer that led to solving a problem.
- A large insurance company recently engaged WWT to help them scope a storage refresh, data center relocation and data migration strategy. After working through several design sessions with the insurance company’s technical team, WWT earned the trust of the customer by utilizing ATC technical resources. Ultimately WWT earned the business for the storage refresh from the insurance company, a successful win for all involved.
Want to learn more? Check out our 37 Questions with a WWT Expert video series where Jeff discusses Dell EMC equipment in the ATC, what it’s like being a father of four, his bucket list and more.