Mike joined World Wide Technology in September 2010 after 25 years of government service at the National Security Agency. As the Vice President of Security Solutions, Mike leads a team of senior security experts and former CISO’s that work across our commercial and Federal sales, engineering, and professional services organizations to provide value to our customers.
Q&A with Mike McGlynn
- Tell us about your background and how you got into technology.
- I’ve always enjoyed mathematics, software development and technology. When I started getting into IT, you learned to build your own systems – which forced you to truly understand the relationship between hardware, operating system and application. I was fascinated that you could start with a blank canvas and create a solution to a problem leveraging IT – hence aligning analytical thought with creative artistry.
- What is your role at WWT?
- I lead our security practice, defining our strategy and delivery of security technology and services solutions for our customers. However, I find myself in several areas including big data, networking, IoT and software development.
- What innovation is happening in your technology focus area that has you really excited?
- The shift in focus from point technology products to architectural solutions, coupled with maturing security operations and program strategies, gives organizations the ability significantly reduce risk.
- Describe a recent interaction with a customer that led to solving a problem.
- We have numerous examples where we have helped our customers improve their maturity around security programs and vulnerability management, as well as introduce new compelling technology into a larger architecture to support their security operations. A recent example involved a large financial processing organization that wanted to segment their network to reduce risk across the attack landscape. Working closely with our team, and leveraging our Advanced Technology Center, we were able to assist the customer in defining a strategy and delivering solutions that helped them successfully achiever their goals.