What is the Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform?
In this article
The modern enterprise increasingly requires flexible options to get new software up and running as quickly and simply as possible. These options must also make it easy for developers to deploy applications to multiple hosts, such as web apps or backend services, in any programming language.
Red Hat OpenShift addresses these challenges by providing an enterprise-grade Kubernetes platform for hybrid cloud and multicloud deployments.
Red Hat OpenShift is a Kubernetes container platform that enables you to develop and deploy applications to multiple hosts. OpenShift by Red Hat allows you to deploy any application, from public-facing web apps to backend apps like databases and microservices. Apps can be deployed using any programming language; the only requirement of the Red Hat OpenShift container platform is that the application can run within a container.
As a result, OpenShift Red Hat makes it simple to get the software you need installed and up and running in as little as one click or command line entry. It also gives developers greater control over how they work instead of requiring them to change their processes to fit existing infrastructure.
Red Hat OpenShift enables you to automate one time then run the application anywhere as the platform is compatible with on-premises, public cloud and hybrid cloud environments. Its application-centric user interface enables you to develop code, deploy containers and link your services efficiently.
Enterprises often compare Red Hat OpenShift to OpenStack. The Red Hat OpenStack platform helps you handle bare-metal systems and virtual machines. OpenShift provides container-based systems management layered over OpenStack and other cloud service infrastructures. OpenShift by Red Hat also complements all cloud computing models as it implements the functionalities of both platform as a service (PaaS) and container as a service (CaaS) solutions.
OpenShift by Red Hat offers a wide range of benefits to your enterprise, including:
- Cloud-native workloads: The Red Hat OpenShift container platform provides access to open-source tools built on container technology for any cloud environment. This is crucial to enhancing and simplifying your digital transformation process, accelerating application development and optimizing infrastructure usage.
- Developer Sandbox: OpenShift by Red Hat provides immediate access to a sandbox environment that enables your developers to build new applications, create containers from their source code and Dockerfile, deploy Helm charts, and add services like databases using templates.
- Edge with Red Hat OpenShift: The OpenShift platform enables application innovation regardless of their location. This includes bringing Kubernetes to the edge, allowing you to take advantage of emerging technologies like 5G and artificial intelligence applications.
- Application security: The Red Hat platform offers default security policies and out-of-the-box hardening that are crucial to ensuring application and container security. It's also compatible with Red Hat ecosystem products like SysDig and Twistlock that extend application security.
- Automate DevSecOps: It's crucial for security to be introduced at the earliest possible moment of application development. However, embracing DevSecOps can be challenging and be met with resistance if your security and development teams work separately. Red Hat OpenShift security best practices enable you to "shift security left" by automating the process of involving security earlier in the development lifecycle. This ensures you don't suffer communication issues between teams or leave security gaps through the development process.
- Manage multiple clusters: Red Hat's OpenShift solution enables you to deploy apps and enforce policies from one management console across numerous clusters. This approach helps you ensure compliance, manage monitor usage and drive consistency across your deployment.
- Serverless capabilities: OpenShift provides serverless benefits to developers, enabling them to make any application on-demand serverless. It also ensures stateless and stateful apps work seamlessly, enabling developers to focus on coding languages and models rather than learning new implementations.
- Increased productivity: OpenShift by Red Hat enables developers and DevOps teams to build more applications and functionalities in less time. Deployments also require less management and fewer servers through the testing and production phases. The platform's development capabilities also result in higher quality applications and fewer disruptions, which helps to improve production time.
- Reduced costs: Development on the OpenShift platform ensures you reduce costs as it requires you to implement and maintain fewer servers. Furthermore, the platform supports containerization, microservices and multitenancy, which help you reduce upfront spending.
WWT helps you create the perfect strategy for implementing enterprise architectures and platforms like Red Hat OpenShift. Our expertise ensures you build a solid business case that assesses the risks and maturity of your approach, delivers operational efficiency and bridges potential gaps. We also provide assessments, briefings and workshops that help you accelerate application delivery through OpenShift by Red Hat.
Discover how WWT helps you successfully implement Red Hat OpenShift in our developer introduction lab.