The Dell VxRail solution is a joint relationship between Dell and VMware. For customers, what this means is that Dell will take first call support, regardless of whether the issue is hardware or software. Under the covers, Dell's VxRail offering is running VMware vSAN.
One major difference between looking at a VxRail appliance vs. vSAN Ready Node running on Dell hardware is that Dell will fully certify the system hardware and also provide single bundle, single click installation and / or upgrade capability, including all necessary firmware.
A customer can choose units that are right sized for the needs, which include 1U and 2U options that have different advantages to meet requirements. The building block approach to the solution clustered with a minimum of 3 nodes with a recommended maximum 64 nodes in a single cluster. This environment is mostly used for live demos of the VxRail appliance. No performance testing should be done on this platform. WWT has dedicated hardware for more in-depth PoCs.
The VxRail solution can offer, but is not limited to:
- Intuitive HTML5 centralized management through VMware vCenter
- Storage management and configuration with VMware vSAN
- Detailed environment metrics and analytics with VMware vROps
- Hardware HTML5 interface for hardware health and to seamlessly open tickets with Dell for support with VxRail Manager
- Bundled licenses of Dell's CloudArray and RecoverPoint for VMs (RP4VM)