As adoption of Microsoft Azure continues to grow, organizations are looking to safely, easily and quickly migrate more workloads to Azure to offload the expensive costs of storing data on premise while maximizing their cloud investment.
Last November, Rubrik and Microsoft announced Rubrik Accelerator for Microsoft Azure (RAMA), a configuration of Rubrik’s Cloud Data Management platform purpose-built for Azure.
While Rubrik already supported Azure, RAMA brings a new level of simplicity for pulling data into Azure while maintaining data protection.
For example, thanks to the full-featured RESTful APIs with RAMA, storage and cloud administrators don't have to worry about storage configurations, tape management and replication for disaster recovery; nor do they have to wonder if they're meeting required SLAs.
We see RAMA shining in its ability to execute four use cases for getting data into Azure:
- Backup and recovery
- Data archival
- Replication and disaster and recovery
- Remote and branch office
To give our customers hands-on experience with this technology, we built RAMA demonstrations within our Data Protection Lab in our Advanced Technology Center (ATC).
The Data Protection Lab shows customers how to eliminate the complexity of storing, managing and protecting data across physical, virtual and cloud storage tiers. Customers become better positioned to leverage multicloud solutions when deploying cloud data management for the best possible experience.
As it relates to RAMA, customers can explore:
- Backup and recovery: We demonstrate how to automate backup, recovery and archival schedules with one SLA policy engine across on-premise to Azure, cutting daily management time from hours to minutes.
- Data archival: We demonstrate how to store application data in Azure blob storage for long-term retention. Rubrik delivers incremental-forever cloud archival for faster recoveries and lower costs. All data is encrypted at-rest and in-flight, whether it is on-premises or in Azure.
- Replication: We demonstrate how to instantiate applications on Azure for test/dev or DR to save on secondary DR site spending. Rubrik automates the conversion of application data (VHD) into Azure Virtual Machines and has been designed to be a lightweight architecture to save on cloud compute costs.
- Remote and branch office: The hands-off nature of RAMA makes it a great fit for managing data at remote and branch offices. We demonstrate how RAMA can manage multiple systems remotely and walk through its deployment across the entire enterprise.
While RAMA is an ideal starting point to make tangible gains in cloud consumption, installation should be considered in the context of an overall cloud strategy.
To determine where RAMA fits into an overall cloud roadmap and gain a better understanding of considerations for cloud data management beyond RAMA, we recommend taking advantage of our Backup, Recovery and Archive Workshop, which provides a detailed analysis of your organization’s current architecture.